Follow me on facebook

Thursday, October 10, 2013

FALL Sandwich ....

I named this sandwich, with this unusual name, when I saw it on a blog here.... Melinda has a beautiful blog, I found many  interesting recipes and this is one of them. I love pumpkin, and it symbolises the Autumn season for most of the northern hemisphere. Though, pumpkin is available here, most of the year, in October the "blogosphere" is full of pumpkin recipes ...:) Usually, I make a yogurt based pumpkin salad(raita), or a soup or use it-- for bread/cake, etc.  I loved this recipe, as it is so unusual and yet so simple. It was delicious too. 

In the original recipe, the author has baked the pumpkin, in an oven, for about an hour, which will definitely give it a lovely flavor. But, I chose the easier and faster way-- I cooked the pumpkin, in a pressure cooker. 


Ingredients:

  • 4 slices of whole wheat/multi-grain or white bread (or any other kind you prefer)
  • 1 red/green apple
  • 4-6 salad leaves (lettuce/baby spinach/rocket leaves or any other kind you like)
  • about 4 tbsp of pumpkin puree (made fresh)
  • 2 tbsps of cheddar cheese
  • a few drops of olive oil (or butter)





Recipe:

  • I usually buy sliced pumpkin which is sold in supermarkets here, wrapped in cling wrap around 150 gms or so. Wash the pumpkin thoroughly and keep it whole, in a pressure cooker container -- skin, seeds and all.
  • Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles. Let the cooker cool. 
  • Once the pumpkin is a bit cool to handle, remove the skin and the seeds. Take out the pumpkin flesh and give it a whizz in the blender for 30-60 seconds to get a fine puree. 
  • Keep it aside. I didn't photograph this step. I made a puree a night before thinking, I would make the usual soup....:)
  • Rest is simple.

  • Heat a pan. Grease it with olive oil. Take two slices of bread. Butter it on one side(optional-- I omitted this step). Spread about a tbsp of pumpkin puree on the other side. Place it puree side up on the pan.

  • Place salad leaves.

  • Slice an apple thinly, arrange the slices on the salad leaves. 



  • Grate a tbsp of cheddar cheese on top, or you can also place a cheddar cheese slice.

  • More puree on the other slice of bread, and put the bread on top. 

  • Grill/Pan fry it on both sides for 1-2 minutes, till the cheese is melted.

  • Enjoy it, "hot" off the grill and imagine you are in a nice chilly place with colourful fall trees around you. (Unless, you already live in such a place) .... :)

Quantity:

  • 2 sandwiches(serves 1 or 2)

Notes:

  • If you use a grill pan, you will get nice grill marks on the sandwich.
  • Roast the pumpkin in the oven, to get a different flavor.
  • More cheese, than just a tablespoon will make it tastier :) 
















2 comments:

  1. The sandwich looks very yummy. I have never tried Pumpkin puree in bread & this looks great. I love that cheese in there & red cheddar is my fav. Have you tried the museli bread? These days they are my fav & works so well for healthy sandwich. The dry fruits adds to the sandwich flavour & makes the stomach too full

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmy.. though the pumpkin puree is new and different.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think.....