Follow me on facebook

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Baingan Bharta (Fire roasted mashed eggplant)

My boys do not like eggplant, but I love it. Usually I cook recipes which take me 30-40 minutes from start to finish, lesser the better.... but, this is my favorite and I was craving for it and I thought I will take the effort to cook it for my blog. Also, it is a very messy affair to roast it on open fire and clean it. That's why I usually avoid to make it. This is my mom and my sister's recipe. They cooked it for me, when I went back to India last month. It is beautifully creamy and that fire roasted flavor is wonderful.



 I ate the leftovers as a spread on a toast, topped with Haldiram's Alu-Bhujia.... :)






Ingredients:

  • 1 medium sized eggplant( Here is a link to different kind of eggplants. I used the one which looks like the American eggplant in the list)
  • 1 small red onion
  • 2 small tomatoes
  • 1/2 inch piece of ginger
  • 1 green chili
  • 1-2 tsp sesame oil(or any other oil like canola/olive)
  • 1 tsp each of coriander and cumin powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp Maharastrian Goda masala(or garam masala)
  • 1/2 cup of coconut milk(1 used 2 tbsp of coconut cream)
  • salt to taste
  • a bunch of coriander leaves to garnish

Recipe:

  • Brush the eggplant with oil and put it on direct fire of the gas stove. 

  • Keep on turning the eggplant till it is evenly roasted.
  • Once all the sides are blistered and the insides start getting mushy, the eggplant will give a nice aroma. 

  • Carefully, with the help of tongs, transfer the eggplant to a bowl. Keep it to cool.
  • Then remove the skin.
  • I was in a hurry to cook it, so I put it under running water in a colander and removed the skin.

  • Mash the eggplant with a fork or even your hand. Keep it aside.

  • Chop the onion, tomato and chili. Grate ginger.Wash and chop the coriander.

  • Now, heat some oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, ginger and chili.Saute for about 40 secs.

  • Add onion. Saute for a minute or two.

  • Add tomato and cook till the tomatoes are mushy.

  • Add the mashed eggplant and continue cooking for about 4-5 minutes till everything is mixed well.

  • You can mash everything together with a potato masher. I used my cooking spoon.


  • Add the goda masala(or the garam masala) and season with salt.

  • Turn off the heat and add about 1/2 a cup of coconut milk and whisk it into the eggplant. 

  • Garnish with coriander leaves.

  • Serve hot with chapatis, etc
  • You can use it as a dip for tortilla or pita chips too.



Quantity:

  • 4-5 servings with other accompaniments



Notes:

  • Roasting the eggplant on fire of the gas stove is really a messy affair. You can bake the eggplant in an oven. Oil the eggplant. Put it in a deep baking dish covered with foil for about 40 minutes or so in a preheated oven at 180 degrees.
  • You can add more coconut milk or cream to get richer flavor.
  • Add more chilies or chili powder to make it spicier.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think.....