Follow me on facebook

Friday, March 1, 2013

Dau miu theplas (An Indian flat-bread with Chinese greens)

As I mentioned in my previous post here, I am trying out new ingredients and new methods of including local and fresh ingredients in my daily cooking. Dau miu greens are available cheaply in Singapore and can be used in Indian home cooking too. I used them to make a Japanese condiment which I posted before. Here, I will post a recipe of how I used them to make a flat-bread traditionally made with fenugreek green leaves. The fragrance and flavor or dau miu is lighter than fenugreek, but a bit similar.... to make "theplas" .... I feel the easiest way to make the "greens" enjoyable for kids is through a flat-bread. The green color makes it look very pretty and as you chop, mince it finely to mix with the dough you hardly can "see" it as a vegetable.... :) My facebook friend Hemali, shared the recipe ! 
 





Ingredients:

  • 50-100 gm dau miu leaves (or a bunch of methi/fenugreek leaves)
  • Some Indian spices like turmeric, coriander and cumin powder, red chili powder, ajwain(carom seeds) and salt. About a tsp of each.
  • 2 and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp of ginger and garlic paste (I din't use)
  • 1 green chili
  • 1/2 cup of yogurt
  • Some water





Recipe:

  • Chop the greens in a food processor or by hand. 
  • Mix them with the flour in a large bowl and add the spices and salt. 
  • Add the ginger, garlic and chili  and mix well.
  • Make a soft dough, add a bit of water if necessary.
  • Let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
  • Make balls out of dough and roll them out to about 5 inches.
  • I have used a pot-lid to cut them to perfect circles, but it is not necessary.
  • Cook them on a hot pan. First dry roast them on both sides and then add a drop of oil on both sides and cook them further till done.
  • Stack them in a hot casserole.
  • Serve them hot or at room temperature with mint chutney or pickles or yogurt.

Quantity:

  • Makes about 28 small (4 and 1/2 inch) theplas

Notes:

  • You can serve them at room temperature with hot Indian tea too.
  • They go well in a school lunchbox(bento).
  • Can remain fresh for about 3 days at room temperature.
  • A good snack to make for takeout while travelling. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think.....