Follow me on facebook

Monday, August 25, 2014

Dark Fudgy Brownies

Re-starting my blog from the USA after a long break. I moved here about 4 plus months ago. New place, cold weather, moving to an apartment and unpacking and long summer holidays with grandparents left me with no time for cooking for the blog....rather clicking for the blog. Today, I made the all time popular American dessert. I still have to buy a cake whisk for baking, but this recipe is quite simple with all the ingredients to be mixed in one after the other to create the famous kid approved dessert.



Ingredients:

  • 150 grams dark chocolate ( with 70 percent or more cacao)
  • 1/2 cup (or 1 stick/113 gms butter) -- I used "salted". "Unsalted" is preferable.
  • 1/4 cup (20 grams) cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup (100 grams) all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup (70 grams) sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used "white". Dark chocolate chips can be used)
  • 1/4 tsp salt (I didn't add -- as I used salted butter)
  • 1/4 cup water

Recipe:

  • Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease the baking dish with oil or butter. I used a brownie pan. I greased the individual slots with oil.
  • Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl on a double boiler. (Take a pan. Boil water. Put the glass bowl on top of the water. The glass bowl should be bigger than the vessel in which the water is boiling. Add the chocolate and butter in the bowl and melt it with the heat of the steam from the boiling water. The bottom of the glass bowl shouldn't touch the water)


  • Once the butter and the chocolate is melted, mix it well with a spatula and keep it aside to cool.

  • Add cocoa powder to the flour and sift the mix of dry ingredients and keep it aside.

  • Add sugar to the cooled butter /chocolate and mix it well with a spoon or a spatula.

  • Add eggs one at a time and mix.

  • Add the vanilla extract.

  • Lastly add the flour/cocoa and mix. At this point, I found the mixture to be very thick, I added about 1/4 cup of water. Mix till everything is smooth and to the dropping consistency.


  • Pour the mix in the greased baking tray. If using the brownie pan, add about 1/4 cup of the mix in each slot. Top with dark or white chocolate chips.

  • Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade (350 degrees F)
  • Turn off the oven and leave the tray/pan in the oven for about 5 minutes.
  • Let the brownies cool in the tray for another 10 minutes.

  • Then cut them to squares or take them out in a plate to serve.

Quantity:

  • Makes about 9 pieces (2 inch squares about an inch thick)

  • Serve them warm or room temperature or with icecream.

Notes:

  • The sugar is very less in this recipe. You can increase the sugar to 1/2 or even 1 cup.
  • I preferred slightly bitter taste with bits of sweetness from the white choco-chips.
  • Use good quality dark chocolate, with no or very less sugar.
  • You can also use nuts(walnut, pistachio, almonds) instead or with chocolate chips.



















3 comments:

  1. Welcome back with lovely brownies...I liked the square shaped (Moulds) in baking pan..visit my space too

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... this sounds like a must bake... awesome brownies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspired me to try brownies from scratch instead of outta-box for the first time. only variation I did was the usual egg white-yolk separation trick for dessert. Very happy with the result. Thanks for this one Sanjivni!

    Hey, have you ever tried /liked the tres-leches dessert? Let me know if you cracked the perfect code for that one...

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think.....