Follow me on facebook

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cabbage Parathas (Cabbage Stuffed flat-bread)

I posted this picture of the cabbage on my facebook page asking my friends what could be made with the cabbage as I don't like it very much. I got so many ideas from the page, that I would never think of it as another boring vegetable. I would love to try each and every suggestion given. Thank you, all !! :) 



I chose to do a simple and "filling" recipe from the suggestions. The "Cabbage-Paratha" or "Cabbage Stuffed flat-bread". This is how I made it !!


Ingredients:

  • 1 cabbage
  • Coriander leaves - a bunch
  • 3-4 cloves garlic (optional)
  • Juice of half lemon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 2 tbsp coriander-mint chutney (optional)
  • 3 cups atta (wheat flour)
  • 1.5 to 2 cups water
  • 1.5 tbsp plus 2 tsp oil
  • Extra wheat flour for dusting

Recipe:

  • Chop/grate cabbage finely. I used the food processor. I got a little less than 4 cups of grated cabbage.
  • Heat a pan. Add one tsp oil. Add the chopped garlic, chilly and grated cabbage and saute for 3-4 minutes till the cabbage starts steaming. 
  • I added the coriander-mint chutney, so I din't add garlic and chilly in the beginning.
  • Add chutney, garam masala, coriander leaves and 1/2 tsp salt and mix well. 
  • Cook till the mixture becomes dry. Take it out of the pan and put it in a dish to cool.
  • Now, add 1/2 tsp of salt to the wheat flour, add water slowly and make a soft dough. The dough needs to be really soft and pliable. I needed a little less than 2 cups of water for 3 cups of wheat flour. 
  • When the cabbage stuffing has cooled down, make balls. Similarly, make balls of the dough too. 
  • Keep everything arranged and ready, before you start to make the parathas. 
  • Take a ball of dough, shape it like a bowl, put the cabbage-stuffing ball into it and shape the dough to cover the cabbage. 

  • Flatten it a little and roll it out carefully and with extra-light pressure to a 8-10 cm round.
  • Tranfer the paratha to a hot griddle and cook it from both sides. Add a few drops of oil to both sides and use a spatula to turn it over. 
  • I kept 1.5 tbsp of oil in a bowl. I dip a spoon(or u can use a pastry brush) in oil, and drain the oil back in the bowl, and use the spoon as a brush and spread it all over the paratha, so as to use as little oil as possible. You can use more or less as you wish. (or use butter/ghee... or go without..just dry roast on both sides :))
  • The paratha should puff up. Once it is cooked on both sides, put it aside in a casserole or a plate.
  • Repeat and make rest of the parathas.
  • Serve hot with dal, dahi(yogurt) or pickles.
  • A close up view .....:)

  • How about some variety of the same.....??? Make these parathas the same way using the purple cabbage......!!!! So pretty, aren't they...??


Quantity:

  • Makes 10 parathas , with some wheat flour dough left over.

Notes:

  • You can mix the stuffing with the wheat flour too. 




























2 comments:

Love to hear what you think.....