Follow me on facebook

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Salmon fish cakes

Salmon is an all time favorite in my house. My kids love it grilled, pan-fried, baked, with spicy thai sauce like this, or well...any form. Usually, I salt it and bake it in a foil and that is it......A meal with some rice /salad. I wanted to try a new recipe with salmon, so I tried something similar to this recipe with the ingredients, I had in my kitchen.


A very yummy recipe for an impressive appetizer/starter, again as my other recipes quite simple and quick to make. This is how I made it....:)





Ingredients:


  • One fresh salmon fillet (I forgot to weigh it, will update when I make it next time)
  • 4 small potatoes
  • 2 tbsp cheddar cheese( or parmesan)
  • 1-2 tsp oil/butter(butter gives good flavor with the salmon, so I used half of each)
  • salt and pepper
  • A bunch of coriander leaves
  • Lemon wedges and coriander leaves to garnish


Recipe:

  • Salt the salmon (with about half a tsp). Leave it aside for about 10 minutes.

  • Boil the potatoes. Peel and mash the potatoes.

  • Place the salmon in a foil and make a package sealing all the sides as shown in the picture.



  • Bake the salmon in a preheated oven for 12 minutes at 180 degrees.
  • Well, this is the best way to eat it.... :) My kids love to eat this ..and eat this twice a week. 

  • Back to the salmon fish cake.... remove the skin, and mash it with hands or a spoon and add the flakes to the potato.
  • Add cheese.

  • Add chopped coriander, salt and pepper. (Check the salt, the fish is already salted). Mix it well.

  • Make small balls, flatten them. I used a flower/star onigiri mold to shape them.


  • Heat a skillet, grease with oil/butter.
  • Pan fry the cakes at low flame. Don't increase the heat....slowly it will get a golden brown bottom and will easily slide to turn with a fork or a spoon.
  • Brown on the other side.
  • Serve hot garnished with more coriander and lemon wedges and tartar sauce.

Quantity:

  • I used half of the salmon. It made 7 small fish cakes.
  • But, I think my fish cakes were a bit thick....Can make thinner to make it to a bite size appetizer using the full fillet.
  • So, you should get about 14-16 pieces.

Notes:

  • You can use parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
  • You can add mustard to the mix.
  • You can use dill/parsley instead of coriander.
  • hmmm, if u do not use fish....it's somewhat the recipe for Indian alu tikki.... :) the vegetarian .....version.... well, I guess this is one of those recipes which can't be made vegetarian. 
The older kid gave 5 stars to this recipe....he saved one piece to take in his bento lunch tomorrow.....!! 















1 comment:

  1. It slooks fab. I love the fact that you've used moulds! Ann x

    http://www.quirkylifestyle.com/

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think.....