Follow me on facebook

Monday, April 1, 2013

Broccoli stir-fry noodles








How do u decide what to cook everyday ? I usually do grocery/vegetable shopping every week... maybe 5 days or so... and pack my refrigerator with many vegetables and then I try to use those in the fridge with different recipes. For example, spinach --- can be cooked with lentils(dal) , chicken, parathas(flat-breads), as a salad or as a vegetable side by itself. I had bought 3 broccoli heads thinking I would make a soup out of it, but it is too hot to eat soup....so made a simple stir-fry recipe with noodles ....:)


It was a after-school meal for my kid, I had some boiled brown rice, so I made some Stir-fried rice for myself for dinner with the same combination.








Ingredients:

  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 small onion
  • 80-100 gm chopped broccoli florets
  • 1/3 cup frozen and defrosted corn
  • 2 tbsp chopped red pepper
  • 1 tsp fish sauce
  • 1/2 tsp soya sauce
  • 1 tsp oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 150 gm cooked and salted pasta/noodles(or egg noodles)
  • sesame seeds to garnish (I din't use)
  • 2 (or more) green chilies (optional, I din't use)



Recipe:

  • Boil/cook the noodles/pasta according to the pack directions. Drain the water and keep them aside.
  • Chop the broccoli to florets.
  • Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic, chilies, onions and stir-fry on high heat till the onions are translucent.

  • Add broccoli and frozen corn and stir-fry again for 3-4 minutes till the broccoli is cooked and the color deepens to bright green.

  • I loved adding some red peppers for color. Cook again for a minute.

  • Add seasonings -- fish sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper.

  • Finally, add noodles and keep stirring for another 3-4 minutes till everything is well mixed.

  • Serve hot garnished with sesame seeds/boiled eggs.

  • I made the same recipe with brown rice. 

  • After the seasonings, add a cup of cooked brown rice and mix well stirring continuously on high heat. 

Quantity:

  • 2 servings each for noodles and rice.




Notes:

  • Can be made with other vegetables of your choice, but as the title is broccoli stir-fry.... do use broccoli as one of the vegetables :)
  • Adding Tabasco sauce about a tsp or two in the end, gives it a nice spicy kick. 
  • Omit fish sauce and increase soy sauce by 1/2 to 1 tsp, to make the recipe completely vegetarian.
  • This is a picture of noodles I made long time back. I used mushrooms, prawns and broccoli. I have used egg noodles here.




3 comments:

  1. Sanjivni that looks gorgeous. Very beautifully cooked and photographed, I usually plan my meals in advance so I can easily cook on busy work days and also for blogging purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for participating in "April Healthy Stir Fries".Check out the round up here or the FB page.See you soon at other delicious event.
    http://www.foodiemomcooks.com/2013/05/april-healthy-stir-fries-round-up.html
    Cheers
    FoodieMomCooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dish looks good and sounds wonderful! I want to try that on sunday, because I have a lot of time to cook and I think that dish is perfect for my breakfast. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think.....