Follow me on facebook

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tindora (gherkin) stir fry

Last week, I was invited to a friend's house....and she treated us to homemade Andra feast. (regional cuisine from the state of Andhra Pradesh). One of the vegetables, she made was gherkins. It is known by various other names like tendli/tondli/tindora/ivy gourds, etc. I think, my mom used to make this vegetable, and I didn't like it so much, when I was younger. I have lived abroad, most of my  married life and in Japan, where we do not get this vegetable at all. In Singapore, you get it, in certain shops in Indian market, but as I thought I didn't like this vegetable, I never bought it ....until I ate it at my friend's house. 


Indian Vegetarian cuisine, will have many dry "subjis" (or vegetables). Vegetables are stir fried on high heat in a pan, with mustard/cumin seasoning with curry leaves and then cooked on low heat with the pan covered after adding the powdered masalas(spices). You  can use the same method, same spices and different vegetables and get a different taste/recipe every time. When I bought the gherkins, I wondered how would I cook them, google searched and I liked this recipe....made it with the spices and ingredients, I had in my kitchen.





Ingredients:

  • Tindora/gherkins (about 400 gms)
  • 1 large onion
  • 10/12 curry leaves
  • 1 red chili
  • 1/2 tsp each of cumin and mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp each of turmeric, coriander and cumin powders
  • 1 tsp of maharastrian goda masala(or garam masala)
  • salt about 1 tsp or to taste
  • 2 tbsp of crushed peanuts
  • 1-2 tsp oil






Recipe:

  • Chop the gherkins into strips after cutting off the ends.(Discard the ends)
  • Chop the onions.
  • Roast and crush the peanuts with a food processor or mortar n pestle (I usually have roasted and crushed peanuts ready in my pantry)

  • Heat 1-2 tsp oil in a pan.
  • Add cumin and mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chili and turmeric powder.

  • Once the mustard seeds crackle, add the onions and stir fry for 2 minutes till the onions are translucent.

  • Add the coriander/cumin and the goda masala powder, stir fry for a minute.

  • Add the gherkins, and stir them on high heat for a minute.

  • Then lower the heat and continue stirring and cook them further for 4-5 minutes.

  • Now, cover the pan and let the gherkins cook for 5 minutes on low heat till they are softened.

  • Once, the gherkins are cooked, add salt and the crushed peanuts. 
  • Mix everything well. 

  • Serve hot with chapatis , salad and dal.

Quantity:

  • 3-4 servings

Notes:

  • hmm... I made this very first time, I have no tips on this vegetable....other than...it is a nice one...give it a try. I tried it myself....after so long....but still liked it.


2 comments:

  1. wow... beautiful presentation!! Love this stir fry

    Happy to follow you :)

    Regards,
    Bindu
    http://indianrecipegalleri.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! I love the design of the dish, because it's very beautiful based on the picture on this blog. I will try this for my family so that they will eat a lot. Thanks for sharing this!

    Vegetable Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think.....