Follow me on facebook

Friday, April 12, 2013

Matar pulav (green peas pilaf)

Most of the recipes, I cook at home everyday, can be cooked within 30 minutes. I have a busy day with my gym schedule, kids schools and activities, shopping, cleaning and my blog.... :) Though, I love photographing, desserts and baking, my everyday meals have to be made in a short time, while supervising a kid at a homework or arranging blocks to a building with other...or multitasking with some other job. This is one of such recipes, which can be made fast and a hot meal is ready in about 30 minutes. 





Ingredients:

  • 1 and half cup long grained basmati rice, boiled and cooled
  • 1 cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 5 peppercorns, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp garam masala , 1 tsp turmeric, salt, chili powder(I din't use)
  • 1 tsp garlic grated
  • 1 onion roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp ghee (or oil) - I love the flavor of ghee
  • 1 cup of green peas(I used frozen)

Recipe:

  • Boil peas in enough salted water.

  • Boil the rice, either on the stovetop, pressure cooker or the microwave. Try to make it fluffy and grains separate. I do it in the microwave.
  • Heat the ghee in the pan. Add dry whole spices to it. 

  • Once the ghee/oil is flavored, add garlic paste, fry for a minute, then the onions. Saute till they are translucent and cooked. 

  • Now add the peas, stir it for a minute.


  • Add the powdered spices and mix them well.

  • Add the rice, and stir till everything is well mixed.

  • Season with salt and garam masala.


  • Serve hot, with yogurt and pickles and papad.... or as it is :)

Quantity:

  • 4-6 servings

Notes:

  • You can use other rice or brown rice for this recipe, but basmati gives an awesome flavor with the whole spices.

1 comment:

  1. So that is the trick. Fry spices and peas before adding the rice. Will have to try this dish next week. Looks delicious and full of great aromas.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think.....