Follow me on facebook

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rosemary & Parmesan Madelines with rosemary & tomato soup


I bought this herb "rosemary" fresh for the very first time. I have used the dried version that comes in plastic bottles. The green leaves are so fragrant. Google came to my help again and so did my friends. They gave me lovely suggestions. I picked up an unusual recipe to try. Usually, when you think of Madelines, you think of a light buttery soft cake-like french cookies made by beating a lot of eggs and lot of butter. This recipe is very light and doesn't use regular fat like butter/oil. Instead low-fat yogurt is used and I was surprised to know that it works to make this savory version light and airy. Got this recipe here. The blog writer suggested that these madelines will go well with a lobster bisque :) Well, I din't have any ingredients for the bisque, so I made a rosemary flavored tomato soup to go with it.








Ingredients:

For the Madelines:

  • 50 gm all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
  • 35 gms freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
  • 1/3 cup yogurt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil to grease the pan





For the soup:

  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1 potato or carrot(or both)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic (I din't use)
  • 1 onion
  • 1 sprig rosemary 
  • salt and pepper
  • 3/4 to 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • Parmesan cheese and rosemary sprigs to garnish






Recipe:

Madeline:

  • Combine the dry ingredients together and mix well.( flour, salt, rosemary, cheese and baking powder)
  • Mix egg and yogurt well and pour in the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix well.
  • Grease the Madeline mold with 1/2 tsp of olive oil and fill each slot with a tablespoon of the batter.
  • Bake at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes.
  • Serve garnished with additional rosemary leaves and Parmesan cheese. An interesting side to a soup. 



Soup:

  • Boil the tomatoes and other vegetables(except onion and garlic) in a pressure cooker.
  • Put the boiled vegetables in a blender. Add a sprig of rosemary leaves. Blitz to puree.
  • In a pan, saute chopped garlic and onion till they are browned and add them to the blender. 
  • Puree again till everything is well mixed.

  • Strain the puree and put it back in the pan and heat it to a simmer. 
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Add about a cup of milk and let the soup boil for another 5 minutes. 

  • Serve garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and rosemary and with the savory rosemary madelines.


Quantity:

  • Makes 9 (3 inch) madelines
  • Soup is 2 servings

Notes:

  • Though salt is optional in the madeline recipe, I would recommend to not use it. I think the parmesan cheese has enough salt for the whole recipe.(I prefer very less salt in my food)
  • You can use other cheese like parmigiano reggiano or guyere or even cheddar.
  • If you do not have the madeline pan, you can make them in mini muffin pan...and call them rosemary n parmesan muffins ... :) 
  • Also, if you make them as muffins, I think you can substitute the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
  • You can add half a cup of cream instead of milk to the soup.




6 comments:

  1. delicious dish. do stop by at my space too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I am definately going to try the Madeline recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. Now that I have an oven in my house in Sydney, will parka try this real soon... Thanks for the inspiration dear..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed it reading in itself so much.. that now i want to give it a try.. is there any way you could help me find the mould in Bangalore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi...I have no idea about banglore..i will check with my friends and get back to you...Thanks for your comment...!!

      Delete
  5. Thumbs up, great meal.
    I loved the soup and my savory muffins were great side dish to it :)
    for those wondering: the lovely orange color comes from baked cheese (yum).

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think.....