Follow me on facebook

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cheesy Cauliflower Kofta curry

This recipe was a total experimental recipe. I tried the cauliflower kofta for the very first time and I tried to make a low cal. version by avoiding to deep-fry. Well, I did succeed in a way...but boy..it took such a lot of time to cook the koftas. I saw this recipe at  my favorite blogger Raji's site. I went through the recipe once...oohed and aaahed on the pictures and decided to make it. My biggest mistake was that- I din't read the recipe thoroughly and I just saw a big instruction at the bottom, to make the low cal. version use the "paniyaram pan" ...:) I had never seen or used this pan before I borrowed it from my friend Lakshmi, but it was a pan with circular molds, "how difficult would it be right" or so I thought....... Well, the procedure is simple enough, you make balls and put the balls inside the circular molds and cook them, turning them so that they are cooked from all sides. I din't realize that it would take so long....and I realized what was my mistake when i started to write this post.....:)



More on that later, but the cauliflower koftas very super delicious. A big thank you to rakskitchen for such a lovely recipe ! 



Ingredients:


For the koftas:
  • Cauliflower(grated 3 and 1/2 cups)
  • Boiled potato (grated 1 cup)
  • 1/2 carrot (grated)
  • 1/2 capsicum(chopped)
  • 1 green chilli(chopped)
  • Cheddar cheese(about 1 cm thick, cut into cubes)
  • salt and garam masala
For the curry:
  • 3-4 garlic flakes
  • 1 onion
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • salt/coriander powder/jeera powder(1/2 tsp each)
  • 1 cup milk
  • coriander leaves to garnish

Recipe:



For the kofta:

  • Grate the cauliflower, carrot and the potato. Chop the capsicum and chilly.
  • Cook the cauliflower in a wok with a tsp of oil, make sure that all the water has evaporated and that it is dry. (I forgot to do this step, that's why it took me quite a while to cook the koftas later)

  • Once the cauliflower is cooled add potato,carrot, chilly, garam masala and salt and mix it well. The mixture will come together like a dough. 

  • Make balls out of it. Put a cheese cube in between and cover it with the cauliflower mix. 

  • Now, brush some oil on the pan and place the kofta in the circular molds. 

  • Move them around and see that they are cooked evenly.(I tried to move them around with the help of two spoons and then with two chopsticks...)
  • Make sure that the heat is between low to medium, otherwise they will darken fast.
  • Once the koftas are cooked from all sides, move them to a tray and repeat with the rest. 


For the curry sauce:
  • Chop the onions finely. Grate the ginger and garlic. Pureed and strain the tomatoes to remove the seeds.
  • Take one tsp of oil in a pan and saute all the ingredients with 1 tsp cumin seeds. 
  • First add cumin, then ginger and garlic followed by the onions and then the tomato puree.
  • Add the spices - cumin/coriander and garam masala powder and saute the mix well on low to medium heat. 



  • Add about 1 cup of milk after the tomatoes and onions are all mushy and let the sauce cook for another 5 minutes to a smooth gravy.
  • Pour this sauce over the koftas in a platter.
  • Garnish with coriander leaves and a tsp of milk.

Quantity:

  • About 4-5 servings with accompaniments like roti/rice/salad , etc

Notes:

  • If you feel that the filling is not binding to balls, add about 1/2-3/4 cup of more grated and boiled potato (1 large potato)
  • You can also add 1 tbsp of corn flour.
  • You can deep-fry the koftas the traditional way....that is faster. 
  • You can add about 2 tbsp of cashew-nut paste before the milk is added to make the gravy richer.
  • You can stuff the kofta with dry fruits,  different cheese or paneer too(Indian cottage cheese).







No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think.....